*Detection of Group B Streptococcus (Streptococcus agalactiae) using nucleic acid hybridization (Gen-Probe AccuProbe) and realtime PCR.
Reflex to antimicrobial susceptibility for penicillin allergic patients also available (please indicate clearly) - will delay reporting
Click on the below image to view the package insert for the BactiSwab. Collection instructions are found below.
Group B Strep Specimen Collection Instructions:
1. Remove swab from packaging. DO NOT touch the soft tip or lay the swab down. If the soft tip is touched, the swab is laid down, or the swab is dropped, use a new swab.
2. Carefully insert the swab approximately 2 cm into the vagina.
3. Remove, and insert the same swab 1 cm into anus.
4. Immediately place the swab into the transport tube and close tightly.
5. Please mark clearly on the requisition either "Group B strep" or "Group B strep Penicillin allergy with sensitivity reflex".
6. Fill out the requisition completely and place a CPA sticker on it and the bag, or write with a sharpie "CPA" on the requisition and bag so that it shows for the courier.
7. Place the sample and requisition in a CPA Biohazard Transport Bag
8. Store and transport specimens at room temperature (15 to 30°C) or refrigerated (2 to 8°).
9. Make sure that the courier picks up the specimen to take to the lab on the same day.